today i’ll be showing you a more dramatic look, which is more typically suited for a night out; however, in the winter, i look to wear more intense, dark looks from day-to-night. the basis for this look, overall, is similar to my previous tutorial (“valentine’s day date makeup:” https://makeupasmedicine.wordpress.com/2017/02/15/tutorial-valentines-day-date-makeup/), but the different eye and lip colours also make them quite different at first glance. it also features one of my favourite statement makeup products: black lipstick! while i tend to wear it year-round, most people prefer to experiment with it in the colder months, when deeper colours are more trendy.
1. cleanse & tone w/ several drops of La Roche-Posay Micellar Water (Sensitive Skin) on a cotton pad all over face
2. moisturize w/ three drops of Kiehl’s Daily Reviving Concentrate, focusing on flaky areas (edges of nose & cheeks, for me), then apply one pump of La Roche-Posay Hydraphase Intense Legere 24hr Rehydrating Fill-In Care all over face
3. apply a small dollop of Neutrogena UltraSheer Face Sunscreen (SPF 60) all over face for sun-protection (important to use every day, even in the winter!)
4. let absorb for 5-10 minutes
5. apply one small dollop of Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer all over face
1. apply Clinique Superbalanced Makeup [i use the shade 32 “Breeze” (N)] all over face w/ the large end of Sephora’s 202 “Multitasker face” brush, first dotting and then blending out, gently
2. apply Sephora Collection Bright future Gel-cream concealer [i use the shade 01 “Bavarian cream”] by dotting on blemishes, applying to the under-eye area, and blending out w/ the small end of Sephora’s 202 “Multitasker face” brush, for blemishes, and blending out w/ your ring fingers, for the under-eye area
3. set w/ Loreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Powder [i use the shade n1 “ivory”] by applying w/ still Spa Essentials Powder 0o1 brush
1. brush brows w/ spoolie & fill in brows w/ short, quick strokes of NYX Micro Brow Pencil [i use the shade MP05 “Ash Brown”]
2. groom brows with Loreal Brow Stylist Plumper Brow Gel Mascara [i wear shade “Medium to Dark”]
- great dupe for: Benefit’s Gimme Brow since it also has a small brush/applicator
3. apply NYX HD High Definition Eyeshadow Base & blend into lids w/ ring fingers
4. using the Urban Decay Naked 2 Basics Palette, pack “Undone” onto the lids with Quo All-Over Eyeshadow Brush and use ELF Blending Brush to blend it up into the crease
5. apply two to three coats of Maybelline Lash Sensational Luscious Full Fan Effect Mascara
- great dupe for: Benefit’s They’re Real!
1. apply one short line in the hollow of each cheekbone of NYX WonderStick dark colour [i use shade “WS01 Light/Medium”] and blend out with fingertips to contour
- tip: suck in your cheeks to find the hollows
2. lightly dust Benefit’s “Dallas” Blush [i use it from the Benefit Cheekathon Palette] onto apples of cheeks with Quo Professional Blush Brush
- tip: find the apples of your cheeks by smiling
3. pack Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder “Ethereal Light” onto cheekbones with fingers
(funnily enough, the black lipstick that i usually use is actually meant as halloween makeup, so it comes in a costume makeup kit.)
1. apply several layers of Walmart’s Black Lipstick from Walmart’s Black Lipstick and Nail Polish Halloween Makeup kit
- compared to Covergirl’s Katy Kat Matte Lipstick in the shade “Perry Panther KP11,” i honestly prefer the halloween lipstick in terms of colour payoff and texture.
and that’s the look! if you wanted to modify it to be a bit less intense for the daytime, you could wear any lighter lipstick that you have on hand (this look uses both cool and warm tones, so there shouldn’t be any lipstick that will particularly clash!) and then swap it out for the black lipstick when you go out at night-time.